The life and times of a normal university student

19 March 2013

Random Reasons Why I Swear 1 -- Eighty Fifth Post



I swear at Watson and Crick a lot. Or at least, I do some yelling and fist-shaking when their names come up. I'm not saying they weren't good at researching, or that they didn't make important contributions to science, or that their conclusions about DNA weren't valid.
I just hate them for being huge douchecanoes who didn't give credit where credit was due. Specifically, they used information obtained from Dr. Rosalind Franklin and only barely credited her in their paper. As a result of their rudeness, she was denied her place in history for a really freaking long time.
Rosalind Franklin.jpg
 According to her wikipedia page, she's pretty badass. She got a BA from Cambridge before they were even giving them to women and  was recognized as pretty awesome. Watson and Crick had a lot of wrong ideas about DNA which were only set straight by Franklin's data, and they gave her and her grad student one stinking footnote.
It bugs me that it's okay for anyone to do this to anyone and then be lauded for great science for decades. So I freak out whenever people go on and on about Watson and Crick and how they discovered the structure of DNA without mentioning the awesome lady to the left, Rosalind Franklin.

No comments:

Post a Comment