The life and times of a normal university student

05 April 2013

Guerrilla Gardening Video of the Whenever -- Eighty Seventh Post

You should all watch this video. It is by Rob Finley, the guy from the TED talk I posted a while ago, in Guerrilla Gardening Tip no. 1, but I rather like this video better.


Besides, when I shared it on facebook from Upworthy, its description was "Broccoli rules these streets." If that's not the coolest thing ever, I will eat my hat. But not really.
The reason I like this video is because it's more about the emotions of gardening than a persuasive speech about the merits of gardening. Finley describes the reactions his garden elicits, building off his opening statement that "Gardens build communities." People bring their mothers to see the garden, which I would totally do if we suddenly lived in a big city with no gardens. People come and look at sunflowers, just standing in the street. An old Japanese man walks the garden early every morning, and eventually brings plants for Finley to grow. Finley shares the food from his garden with anyone who needs it.
I salute Rob Finley. I think he's doing something wonderful, and I hope I can make as beautiful a mark on this world as he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment