The life and times of a normal university student

15 May 2014

Eyebrow piercings don't hurt -- Ninety Eighth Post

The fun continues as I pay people money to poke holes in my skin.
This picture adequately sums up my feelings on people who think body mods are a sin.
Anyway, I'd just like to report that eyebrow piercings hurt way less than any other piercing I've had with the possible exception of my very first ear lobe piercings when I was 13 that I don't really remember anymore. Since I don't remember them hurting, I assume they didn't hurt. To sum up, it hurt less than a nose (nostril) piercing, ear cartilage piercing, that one time I pierced my earlobes by myself because it took me forever to get the damn needle through, and way less than dermals. Dermals hurt like a bitch. I thought that eyebrows would hurt similarly bad because the needle is going through so much flesh and I have sensitive eyebrows, but it was a very brief hot pain and then we were good, with just one tiny tear sitting in the corner of my eye. My eyes water whenever I pluck my eyebrows, so one tiny tear is saying a lot about how much it didn't hurt. 
Anyway, I got my left eyebrow pierced with a slightly curved barbell that just has two normal-boring balls on the ends. Nothing fancy, just the standard stainless steel piercing jewelry. I hear that eyebrows will swell up quite a bit (something about poking a hole under the skin right against a bone and then sticking a piece of metal in it), so starting off with the normal-boring is highly recommended because you don't want your inflamed skin getting all stuck in fancy barbell decorations. Besides, how normal-boring can it be? It's an eyebrow piercing for fuck's sake. Another recommended option is getting a captive ball ring, like you often see on lips and ear cartilage, because it's pretty much impossible for the wounds to grow over the ends of a ring as has been known to happen with barbells that are too short. 
Now my only worry is that I'll keep bumping into it. I've actually almost forgotten that it's there because it stopped hurting so quickly, and so far I've accidentally rubbed my eyebrow, leaned my head against my fist and essentially punched myself in the piercing, and straight up scratched around the piercing because I thought something, like a piece of paper or a feather from my duvet, was stuck to my eyebrow. Something is stuck to my eyebrow, it's just that it's supposed to be there. 
But seriously. So far, probably the easiest piercing I've done. 
Next on the list: tragus, conch (also known as orbital, on the ear), and/or labret (in the center under the bottom lip). I'm really on the fence about the lip piercing. It looks super cute on other people, but I'm not sure I have the right face and the ability not to play with it constantly and ruin my teeth. My teeth are bad enough, they don't need help getting worse. And then, sometime, and sometime after I get a car because saving for that is a huge pain, there will be a tattoo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment