The life and times of a normal university student

12 December 2010

Forty Second Post

Three posts in... two days? I think my perception of time is pretty screwed up. Anyway.
This is a for real post. No "Hey, you lot should check out this stuff that I think is cool!" nonsense.
This is a post about my bathroom.
So. My dorm is unique on campus in that people live in "pods" composed of six to twelve (thirteen this year, actually) people living normally in one to three-person rooms (possibly four, depending... I don't really know). Each pod has a main room and a bathroom. It's a pretty swank building, other than the whole hot water thing, with nice tall ceilings and, hey, your own bathroom. Except the bathroom kind of needs to be cleaned. So the price we pay for swank rooms and not enough hot water is cleaning the bathrooms. My pod just goes by room each week- pod C started because we volunteered, then pod A, then B, then C, then A...
My roommate hates sweeping and mopping, so I do that. In return for not having to sweep, mop, or take out the trash, she does the rest -- toilets, showers, counter, mirror.
The trouble with a girls' pod is that, while we're pretty good about not peeing on the seat, we leave a lot of hair on the floor.

That's a picture of the dust and hair that I swept up this week. Please note that the trash can has no liner.
But I don't really mind sweeping. It's easy enough, and the broom is okay. Actually, we have two brooms.

So you can't actually see both brooms, but there's another one hiding behind the big yellow one. You can kind of see the grey handle lurking around back there. The black handle is the next thing I'm going to cover.
That black handle belongs to a mop.


This is the mop from hell. It is the stupidest design for a mop in the history of mops. See how all the hair and dust that the broom misses can not get picked up, but rather shoved around the floor?

That handle thing is for squeezing the water out of the mop. That much works pretty well.

That's the thing that's supposed to make the mop longer. Unfortunately, it's breaking. It didn't work anyway. Any pressure applied to the elongated handle would just shove it back down into itself.

Shortest mop ever. I hate it so much. I'll blame my back problems later in life on it, since I have to bend almost double to use it efficiently. See how it's much shorter than the brooms? Yeah.
I did mention that the mop is not optimally designed for mopping up residual dust and hair, but it actually grabs a surprisingly large amount and deposits it in the mop bucket.
Sorry, roommate. Now you have to clean this out of the shower...

All that black stuff wasn't there before.
Speaking of showers, they're pretty neat.

See? Very similar to the showers that grown ups in the real world use. Unfortunately, our showers have just one curtain. I'm really not close enough friends with my podmates to be okay with them walking in on me stark naked. We all seem to feel the same way, so there is a general caution about opening the bathroom door.
Actually, I'm really not very close to any of my podmates, which makes using the sinks a bit awkward sometimes.
Here's why:

We have this giant counter, with two sinks. Two sinks is plenty for six people, make no mistake, but we only have one soap dispenser. As you can see, it's right in between the sinks, just out of reach for both.
In case you're wondering, the writing on the mirror is a note from our RA telling us to sign up for the "end-of-semester deep cleaning" involving all podmates, or else.
And that's my bathroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment